Friday 16 April 2010

Introduction
As part of my AS Media coursework I was specified to produce a front cover, contents page and double page spread for a new music magazine which is set to be released, using both a desk top publishing programme and an image manipulation programme to create the magazine. I have decided to make a magazine that both challenges’ and uses conventions and features of existing magazines, I decided this because it will make my magazine unique in the way that it doesn’t completely follow the style and features of common music magazines. I have approximately months to produce my finished piece and by that time I would like to have created a high quality magazine print which is off a standard of published music magazines.


Audience
The target audience for my magazine is going to be young females; I intend to do that by the colours I use, my special offers or free gifts and the articles I include (Using male and female artists). I would think that there would be a range of different ages as well as groups who would be interested in my magazine. The age could range from 15-25 year olds, depending on the bands featured, to information given. These are all factors which will influence a potential reader to buying my magazine after being attracted by my front cover. I have chosen a wider range of target audience for my magazine, so that the majority of young women can buy and read my magazine,
making it a more successful magazine, especially as it will be contending against well known popular and established magazines.

Genre
My magazine is going to be based on a variety of music genres, I have chosen to do this because most magazine available on the market today follow one genre of music or have a particular style; I would like the challenge the music magazine industry by making a magazine that is suitable for everyone with different tastes to read and enjoy. This will be appealing to teenagers as now more
people are starting to dip into other genres, listening to a wider range of music as the genre world clashes with collaborations with all different styles of artists.

Issue and Cost
An issue of my magazine will come out fortnightly. This is due to the fact that there will be stories and gossip in the music world coming out very often; therefore the magazine should produce an issue as often as possible, so that the readers feel content that they know what is going on at all times. However, the reason I have decided to release an issue every fortnight, is mainly because some of the reader’s may not be able to purchase or afford a copy every week, as they are still young and some will not be working, or saving for university and other forms of education or holidays. My magazine will cost £2.00; this is due to the fact that after researching the price of other music magazine’s the prices range from around £1 - £5. Being a new magazine you can’t price it too high as even if people could afford it, why would they pay more money on a new magazine if they can get what they want and already know from a very well respected and established magazine like NME or Kerrang. Music readers will still buy a magazine out of genuine habit, so it they see a cheaper magazine, that ‘looks’ just as good as the more expensive magazine, they may feel obliged to buy it. Although I feel that my magazine will offer slightly more in the sense of a wider range, the magazine would not succeed if it did not gain the interest and support of the paying customer and reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment